I’m steaming mad about Stephen Harper proroguing Parliament again this year. Mad enough that I joined that Facebook group, wrote letters to my MP and to Harper (firstname.lastname@example.org), and joined the Ottawa organizing chapter.
Parliament does not exist to serve the interests of Mr. Harper, but of all Canadians. We should not be allowing him to flagrantly and arrogantly dismiss democracy when it doesn’t serve his interests. He’s counting on Canadians’ apathy and indifference to let him get away with it.
The whole thing is so wrong on so many levels, I don’t even know where to begin. Fortunately, many others have already written thoughtful and intelligent pieces about it. Some have also written about the lame, enabling response of the official opposition. Here’s a sampling:
- Going Rogue (by Dr. Dawg)
- Democracy diminished, accountability avoided (Globe & Mail editorial)
- Shafting Democracy in Canada (by Heather Mallick)
- Proroguing is for children (and Stephen Harper) (by Rick Mercer)
- Stop, or I’ll Tour! (by Andrew Coyne)
- Opposition: Time to recalibrate (Dr. Dawg)
If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll all take the time to familiarize yourself with what’s going on here, and take a stand, write a letter and attend a demonstration. I believe there will be protests all across Canada on January 25th. [UPDATE: JANUARY 23RD?]