The thing about living in a climate like Ottawa’s is that we cram a whole year’s worth of festivals and cultural activities into four months. Here’s my list of things to do this weekend:
- Westfest (it’s free and Danny Michel is playing Friday night)
- Elgin Street Public School Book Sale and Silent Auction, all weekend
- 5th Annual Naked Bike Ride (Saturday at 3:00 pm at Confederation Park on Elgin Street)
- Pots in the Lot (Pottery exhibit and sale at Gladstone Clayworks (on Gladstone one block west of Preston), Saturday 10-8.
- CBBAG Ottawa Book Arts Show & Sale (Canadian Book Binders and Artists Guild – bookbinding, paper, calligraphy, prints, letterpress, engraving, books as art – Saturday, 10:30-4:00 at Library and Archives Canada, 395 Welllington)
- MSMF Indian Food Festival (11 am – 2 pm on Saturday June 13 at Andrew Haydon Park. Tickets: $12 per person and $6 for 6-12 year olds.)
- One-Day Trips to Monasteries of Quebec (Saturday June 13. Chorus Ecclesiae in a motor coach! Gregorian chant, music, liturgies, scenery, meals. Call 613-567-7729 for information and reservations.)
- Carnival of Cultures, June 12-14, also known as Ottawa’s International Folkloric Festival, at the outdoor Astrolabe Theatre at Nepean Point behind the National Gallery of Canad. Features over 500 artists including Sri Lankan, Venezuela, Filipinos, New Zealand, Lebanese, Mexican, Chinese, Scottish, Caribbean, Japanese, Colombian, Egypt, Latino, Inuit, Russian, Lebanese, Greek, Odyssey Dance Troupe, Modern jazz, and Ukrainian.
- Sit in your back yard drinking beer and watching your weeds grow.